Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Wishing, and hoping, and planning, and dreaming...

I am beyond ready for fall and winter.  As we all know, it’s the most wonderful time of the year.  It is wonderful for countless reasons but most notably because of… MY BIRTHDAY.  3 days after the birthday of our old pal, Jesus.

I’m tired of all this hot weather.  Nobody looks cute wet from sweat (no rhyme intended).  I’m ready for scarves and jeans and boots, oh my!  There’s always a feeling in the air when the temperature gets cooler.  I find myself suffering from giddiness.

The cure for giddiness is more cowbell.  After more cowbell comes cabernet sauvignon.  Something about the icy wind chapping my cheeks makes me crave turtlenecks and red wine.  I’m not a red wine drinker (pinot grigio, please!) but during winter I just can’t help myself.  I am constantly red faced and purple toothed.  It calls to me.

I have always liked to be embraced and cuddled.  My parents were always very cuddly with me and just because I’m a quasi-adult female I’m supposed to not like it anymore?  Nice try, society.  Winter is the perfect time for cuddling.  A blanket is much warmer with two bodies under it instead of just one.  In my opinion, winter is the worst time to be single, not spring.

My absolute favorite thing to do during the Christmas season is to go to this garden right by my lake house to see the Christmas lights.  It sounds lame but the lights are AMAZING.  They have already started setting them up now, if that gives you any kind of idea.  That's where we always take our Christmas card, which is usually just me.  Awkward.  Thankfully my mom has started employing my brother and sister's children so I won't be a lone ranger in the picture.  The best part of the lights (besides the lights themselves) is that that serve hot apple cider, hot chocolate, and marshmallows for you to roast on the fire.  How enchanting! 

The winter I turned 13 there was an ice storm that shook central Arkansas right to its core.  We went without electricity for 10 days.  It really sucked.  The line at Home Depot to get a generator was out the door, literally.  I slept with my parents the whole time because the downstairs of our house gets really creepy at night and during power outages.  I remember lying in bed awake one night, next to my mom, and heard a huge burst of thunder followed by a blue light.  It was a transformer blowing outside.  It really gave me the willies and I shivered with fear and cold.  I wasn’t the only one who wanted to be held that winter.

There were more babies born in September (count it, 9 months after December) that year than Arkansas has ever seen.  I know this because our next-door neighbor is a baby doctor.  He didn’t get to see one razorback game that year.

The moral of the story?  No one likes to sleep alone, especially when it's cold...

No comments:

Post a Comment