Thursday, July 22, 2010

Is that a baby in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

After watching an episode of “Bethenny Getting Married?” tonight and having an introspective conversation with myself I have made a life changing decision. I am most likely not going to have children.

I have always wanted to have children and live the fairy book life but that just doesn’t seem to be a very good plan to me anymore. The main reason I don’t want to get pregnant is for the sake of fatness. I don’t ever want to be morbidly obese and I can see myself getting that way during pregnancy. I love food and love any excuse to eat enough for a family of 10, much less a family of 12. I know myself, and I know that I would use a pregnancy as an excuse to eat as much as I can possibly shove in my face. I am willing to bet that I wouldn’t hesitate to stick my face in a vat of cheese dip.

I don’t want to be crazy, either. I have raging hormones on a daily basis and especially during my “fun time” as Jake likes to call it. I am fairly certain that this week is quite the opposite of fun for him. I get a liiiiiiittle crazy sometimes. I could only imagine the kind of maniac I would turn into if I were fat and hormonal at the same time. I don’t know if Jake could take it. It would be a war zone.

Through my life as a woman, I have heard horror stories about women giving birth: pooping yourself, ripping your womanly parts wide open, getting them sewn back together wrong, and the worst of these: crowning. None of this sounds the least bit appealing to me. It makes me clench my inner thighs (a good workout to avoid obesity) just thinking about my twinkle being ripped in half. I like it just the way it is, thank you sir.

The final reason I would rather not have children is because it seems they borderline ruin your lives. I LOVE kids, don’t get me wrong. But sometimes they can just be too much. I like to take them in doses, like some of my super intense friends. I can only take so much at a time. I hear all these moms saying, “Oh they bring so much joy into my life.” Really? Then why are you popping a xanax every ten minutes? Riddle me that, mommy.

I think I like my sleep too much to wake up in the middle of the night to feed another human from my teet. It’s just not for me. Also, I hear of all these mothers grappling between their careers and being a mother. I don’t want to have to choose. I want to do both.

I think adoption would be my best choice. Then I don’t have to worry about the hormone, fatness, vaginal rippage scenario. Maybe I’ll have kids, maybe I won’t. Only time will tell. As of this moment, they don’t sound too appealing to my body.

3 comments:

  1. Anna

    I was a bit behind on reading your blog, but have played catch-up this morning. I must say I just love your writing style. Your voice is uniquely fantastic!

    By the way, you have forgotten one thing while writing this post....Nannies. They can be a wonderful thing for the mom who wants it all. I have no comment on the ripping, sewing, crowning, and fatness that comes with kiddos. I am pretty sure that is all true. Just ask my jeans!

    ~Kim Shurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I just had a baby even though I've spent my entire
    life hating kids. I only gained 18 pounds (even though I ate like a mad man) during my pregnancy and now, 7 weeks later I'm back
    down to my normal 105 pounds. my boobs are huge, which is a major benefit. being a mother is really awesome and let me tell you how great an epidural is. let's just say you don't feel anything and wouldn't care if you did. I think this might a tmi but the vag goes right back to normal, I was so terrified it would be a gaping black hole post-partum but it has bounced back to it's original size. I will advise you to wait at least 8 years to have a baby but pregnancy and motherhood are really two amazing experiences I wouldn't trade for anything, even if the timing wasn't exactly ideal.

    -Sharla Massey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna...it's all true! All the bad stuff and all the good. And the best thing is that even with all the horrible things your body goes through, the weight gain, etc. your kid doesn't care. They still love you!

    ReplyDelete