Friday, July 30, 2010

Do they serve Boston lagers before interviews?


The day has come!  I am free of my Shakespearean misery and out of freshman overdrive.  Summer school is over.  I have never been so happy.  Happy, that is, to catch up on my sleep.  I will never again have an 8 am class.  My enthusiasm is unexplainable. 

Next Thursday I will be going to Boston to visit my number one prospective graduate school.  Here’s a little something about me: I want to write children’s books.  Well, I have already written a few very rough drafts of books but I want to be successful in my future career.  This graduate school will help me do so.  I have always loved reading, writing, and religion; that’s what my mom says.  I used to want to be a kindergarten teacher…until I changed my mind.  No offense to you elementary education majors out there, but I wanted to challenge my brain a little more.  I knew I wanted to be a writer, then one day it just hit me like a ton of bricks: writer of children’s literature.  What could be more perfect for me?  I have always continued reading children’s literature even when I was no longer legally classified as a child.  Ever since I had this moment of realization I have immersed myself in the children’s literature world.

I have already warned all those close to me that if I am not accepted into this program of my dreams I will probably need to be put on suicide watch.  Not really, but I will be distraught to say the least. 

There are two other programs that I am looking into but the one in Boston is my number one.  My main anxiety about going on this trip is the interview.  I have never really technically had an interview before.  Every time I think about it, I am confident my blood pressure sky rockets.  I have found innumerable websites with lists of graduate school interview questions.  My main concern is what do I do if they ask a question not on this list?  What do I do?  Can I take note cards?  This is why the telephone interview seemed more appealing.

I have never been a fan of public speaking after I hit puberty.  I used to absolutely love acting and singing until I turned into a little bit of a fatty in middle school.  I began hating anything I had to do in public.  Since then, I have dreaded public speaking and anything that resembles it.  I hope I don’t vomit on the interviewer.  Or hug him/her like Blair Waldorf did in Gossip Girl. 

I am going out tonight to prowl for good blog topics…and for good, old fashioned, American fun.  Hopefully my ladies will keep me entertained since Jake refuses to go out.  The good news is that secures a ride home for me.  Yippeeeeeeee!

1 comment:

  1. Holly's ultimate goal is to open a children's bookstore...she can feature your books! I'm gonna make her bookstore's website...I can make yours too! I smell a collaboration cooking.

    ReplyDelete